Tags: In This Issue, Local Guides
1. Canoe on Eagle Creek. Take advantage of this gem of a park with hiking and biking this summer, and be sure to rent a canoe for some on-the-water family fun.
2. Paddle on the Canal. Experience downtown differently – by paddling down the Canal! The Canal Walk is great, but there's nothing like taking a lazy paddle boat ride downtown.
3. Catch a Show at the Drive In. Watching a movie at a drive-in theater is fun for the whole family. Central Indiana still has several drive-ins; the one closest to home is the Tibbs Drive-In on S. Tibbs Ave.
4. Touch a Truck. On July 24th, Carmel Clay Parks will host a Touch a Truck event at the Carmel High School Stadium's parking lot. Let your kids experience police cars, fire trucks, limos and more firsthand!
5. Tour Trader's Point Creamery. This family-owned dairy near Zionsville hosts private, 45-minute farm tours. Take your kids to see the cows up close and personal, and learn how dairy products are made.
6. Fix a Farmer's Market Meal. Take a weekend challenge to make an entire meal out of farmer's market finds. Check out www.localharvest.com to find the closest farmer's market to you.
7. Visit Tuttle Orchards. Greenfield's Tuttle Orchard hosts a variety of summertime events, including Strawberry Fest Saturday, Amish Cheese Sampling Saturday and a U-Pick Veggie Family Experience.
8. Check out the Indian Festival and Market. This annual event from the Eiteljorg Museum features traditional Native American artists, storytellers, performances and more.
9. Do a Playground Hop. There are 207 public parks in Marion County alone! Spend a weekend "playground hopping" and find your family's local favorite.
10. Create Art in the Park. Every Sunday from April to October, the Indianapolis Museum of Art sponsors Art in the Park. Create nature-inspired art with the help of teaching artists.
11. Ride the Forest Park Carousel. The "Little Beauty" carousel at Forest Park is only one of its many attractions. While you're there, enjoy a game of sand volleyball, play mini golf or have a picnic.
12. Go Ape. The brand new Go Ape zip line and high ropes adventure at Eagle Creek Park is a fabulous high adventure for the whole family. Kids must be ten or over to participate.
13. Get a Knot Hole Club Membership. Sign your kids (fourteen and under) up for the Knot Hole Club, and enjoy a lawn or reserved seat on Victory Field for every home game this summer.
14. Visit the Broad Ripple Art Fair. Sponsored by the Indianapolis Art Center, this art fair features a beer and wine garden, live entertainment, a section just for kids and a juried art competition.
15. Enjoy an Outdoor Concert. Outdoor concert opportunities in Indy abound. Relax with outdoor music through Fishers' Fridays After Dark Music Series, Conner Prairie's Symphony on the Prairie or the Greenwood Amphitheater's Summer Concert Series.