The balancing act of motherhood is a constant effort to make it all work. Sometimes I visualize myself spinning five plates (okay maybe ten) all at one time. Sometimes one plate slows down a bit while I am attempting to spin another one faster. Sure enough, somehow the multi-tasking and on the job training as a mom enables me to jump over and spin the wobbly plate before it falls. And such is the balance of all things in the world of motherhood. No one ever said all the plates had to spin at the same rate at the same time. Just keeping them all going and not falling is sometimes (okay, most of the time) an accomplishment!
One of the plates that we, as moms, need to make sure we constantly spin is taking care of ourselves (okay, you can stop laughing now). In all seriousness, I actually have to remind myself to carve out time to not only stay well, but be well in general. At the beginning of motherhood I assumed that I would have to do this, but separately from my kids. What I have learned over the last decade, that like life, motherhood is ever changing. So rather than throw up my hands and surrender to the madness, I must adapt and incorporate into the daily chaos. With that realization comes a lot of freedom and excitement to create your own plan of wellbeing while balancing being a mom and spinning all of those plates!
With that, I am happy to share a few tips that I have done myself that work, are affordable and fun. As we head into thinking about Spring, remember to take care of yourself!
1. Play with your kids! Let your kids choose the activity & play with them. Spending an hour outside playing soccer, riding bikes or jumping rope are great ways to burn calories while spending quality time together as a family.
2. Seek new opportunities to grow outside your comfort zone. For the past five years I've done mat Pilates, but I love to mix it up with a new workout. In addition to my regular routine I've tried spinning, running, strength training and even Zumba!
3. Make healthy family dinners. Family dinners are a must in my house! It's a great way to reconnect as a family & try healthy new foods. Don't get discouraged if your child rejects a new dish, keep offering it. You may have to give it to them up to 10 times before they will eat it & like it.
4. Listen to your body. I'm pushing forty this year & have finally learned to listen to what my body is telling me. What you put into your mouth & when is important beyond measure. I respond better to eating 5 small meals a day instead of 3 larger ones.
5. Find a place for your mind & body to recharge. I love the Monon Community Center in Carmel. It has it all! A pool, workout facility & great community programming! I just launched "The Mom's Club," a weekly luncheon that gives informative and helpful tips to make motherhood more effective, easy and fun! Go to www.Mommy-Magic.com for more information and tips!