Let us help you plan your family fun as we showcase all the happenings of the city! From the latest news to the latest events, we've got you covered. Interested in being featured? Click here to email our Web Editor
to be included!
October 16, 2013 | 09:30 AM
Indy's Child attended the opening weekend of "Conner Scairie's Headless Horseman." Visitors are in for a treat as the interactive history park has added some new twists this year for the 30th anniversary.
As in years past, planners have created an event that can be enjoyed by the whole family. For families with young children who scare easily, there are plenty of activities and overall, the decor of the grounds is not terribly gruesome. For kids who think they want to be scared (but not really) the Headless Horseman hayride is a great fit. We suggest taking an early hayride when it is still light out. The spooks in the woods jump out but tend to be more surprising than scary. The famous character on horseback comes in contact several times with the hayride wagon, but don't worry, the figure is wielding a Nerf sword.
While waiting in the queue to board the wagons, visitors can enjoy the Haunted Golden Eagle Inn from afar. There are some spooky, entertaining characters outside but they can be heard making jokes with the smaller visitors. One commented that our kids' heads looked a little loose after the ride!
The beloved Headless Horseman haunted hayride remains the centerpiece, but this annual event has been transformed into a new experience. Enter the gates, if you dare, to meet Conner Scairie's fun-loving ghouls and participate in new activities, including:
- Dr. Acula's Monsters and Magical Creatures Show – A comical introduction to the town of Conner Scairie and the monsters who inhabit its grounds, presented by the vampire and expert in monsters, magic and all things pertaining to the underworld.
- Beautisha's Magical Tips for a More Beautiful You – Beautisha, the cosmetics-loving witch, will share her magical secrets to achieving "true" monster beauty in this hilarious show full of crazy concoctions. Be prepared, she will need help from the audience.
- Ed's Electrical Spectacle – Ed, the mad scientist, and his assistant, Ezmerelda, will demonstrate the power of electricity and attempt to bring their latest creation to life!
- Holly's Hollow – Child monster, Holly Ween, will invite visitors ages 8 and younger to romp through her wooded trail containing magical creatures and fairy houses. Make it through the path to her chute and enjoy sliding down on potato sacks. Then stop and hear Holly's family-friendly, magical stories, perfect for the little ones.
- Crane Bros. Superstition Emporium – Join Ichabod Crane's brother and sister, Ingelbert and Ilka Crane, as they show off amulets, superstitious charms and try to spook visitors with their stories of ghostly encounters.
- Harry Howler's Scary-o-ke – This crazy crooning werewolf will pass the microphone to visitors who dare to out-sing him.
The traditional Headless Horseman activities such as "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" puppet show, fortune telling, face painting, rhythm fun, storytelling, scarecrow display and spooky crafts will also take place. Guests are encouraged to come in costume to this year's event, too!
BMO Harris Bank Headless Horseman runs Oct. 11-13, 17-20 and 24-27. Gates are open from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Activities and hayrides may run past 10 p.m. Presale tickets are available at select central Indiana Marsh, Mainstreet and O'Malia's locations. Thursdays and Sundays, tickets are $10 presale, $12 at the gate, free for all members. Fridays and Saturdays, tickets are $14 presale, $16 at the gate, free for Plus-Level members and above. Visit www.connerprairie.org or phone 317-776-6006 for event details.