Let us help you plan your family fun as we showcase all the happenings of the city! From the latest news to the latest events, we've got you covered. Interested in being featured? Click here to email our Web Editor
to be included!
April 23, 2014 | 08:44 AM
How do you start with a furry sheep and end up with a blanket? Discover the process and learn how sheep are cared for as you watch skilled staff shear their coats. Then try your hand at skirting, carding, spinning, dying, weaving as you "unravel the history of fibers and fabrics" during Conner Prairie's Shear Fun!
Shear Fun! will be held 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 26th and 27th and is included with general admission.
· Watch sheep get haircuts during sheep-shearing demonstrations.
· Use your own hands to help turn wool into workable yarn by skirting, carding and spinning it, then try weaving it on an inkle, rigid heddle, tape or peg loom.
· Cheer on sheepherding dogs as they get their sheep to obey them.
· Meet live silk worms and unravel the process of making silk.
· Discover how you can spin fibers from flax, corn, bamboo, sugar and milk.
· Make and Take activities: Use a CD to create your own drop spindle (ongoing) and weave a basket to take home (2 p.m.). $5 fee for each.
· Mingle with our own rare and historical sheep breeds and some visiting llamas.
· Dye a piece of fabric with Kool-Aid as you learn what natural items were used in the past to dye wool.
· Learn the Native American art of finger weaving.
· Visit the "Loom Zone" and watch Conner Prairie's youth textile team spin, weave and make crafts.
* Solve fiber mysteries: Dye fiber samples then examine how they absorb colors differently.
· Try your hand at traditional rug hooking, make rope and cordage from plant fibers, and create a "wooly" craft.
Hours and Admission
10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, April 26, and Sunday, April 27
Included with general admission: Adults/$15, seniors/$14, youth ages 2-12/$10, members and youth under 2/Free.
For more information visit, www.connerprairie.org or call 317.776.6006.