flag image

True Confessions of a Stay at Home Dad
In May of 2011, I dismissed class for the last time and began a new chapter in my life, full-time dad. I taught middle school for seven years, but with two kids and a third on the way, I wasn't able to give as much time to teaching as it required, plus I wanted to spend more time with my own kids, instead of someone else's.

My wife and I have been married for nine years. She spends her days (and some nights and weekends) as an OB/GYN, or as my kids like to call it, “catching babies.”

We have three kids. First Born is eight years old, but likes to pretend she’s in college. Our son, Middle Man is five, but we’re convinced by the way he talks about things like “beautiful sunsets” that he’s an old soul, and our youngest, the Blonde Bomber is only three, but already has the attitude of a teenager.

Our kids provide us with an endless amount of stories. Writing and retelling these stories for Indy’s Child has been my part-time job for the past three years.

You can contact me on Facebook at True Confessions of a Stay at Home Dad or via email at indyschildpete@gmail.com.

T'was the night before school resumed....

January 07, 2014 | 10:38 AM

T'was the night before school resumed and all through our pad....

all our creatures were stirring, due to snow, it was bad.

All snow clothes were thrown on the ground without care,

no longer being used, due to sub-zero air.

My oldest refusing to sleep in her bed,

While visions of her getting on the school bus danced in my head.

While mama on her couch and me on mine,

Had just settled down for a bit of red wine.

You see, the kids have been home for about a two-week range,

and things around here have been a bit strange.

First it was the sick kids, it started New Year's Eve,

the first little one in our house started to heave.

It slowly made its way to others around the way,

our house smelled like vomit mixed with Lysol spray.

Then, the day of the snowstorm and all through our subdivision,

the stores were full of people, but there were no provisions.

People drove like assholes, around in their cars,

but with no more gas at the stations, they couldn't get far.

Next, our van wouldn't start, in the garage,

our two-year-old drained the battery using "dome light sabotage."

The snow finally came, halfway up our front door,

and we shoveled and shoveled until we were sore.

Finally the freezing cold temps hit and I continued my gripes,

"What could happen next?" I said, and then froze the pipes.

So, damn it's sure been interesting around here,

2014, not off to the best start, but Happy New Year!


Comments ()

St. Francis
Race for a Cure
Childrens museum